Because JotCache Plugin is advanced replacement of System - Cache it is necessary to disable system cache plugin in Administration > Extensions > Plugin Manager. Open in Plugin Manager JotCache plugin, review parameters and set their values to required operation mode :
Note : marked parameters are added in JotCache ver.4.2.x for Joomla 2.5
1. Browser caching - Web server is forcing the site visitor browser to local caching of sent content.
Browser Cache lifetime is set for each top URI path on component special form. Web page is local cached in browser and it remains x minutes valid (during this time browser shall not call any more the site server for page loading but the page is recalled from browser local cache). This behavior can be overridden pressing Reload button on the user browser toolbar. Then the browser calls again server for page loading.
2. Cache lifetime - Cached web page remains x minutes in page cache stored
3. Compress cached content - In cached content are whitespaces removed and then the content is compressed (by gzlib routine)
4. Mark caching - Condition for displaying Set Mark in JotCache component. For presentation of frontend cache marking and backend check have to be both conditions met :
Plugin Mark caching=Yes
Component Set Mark=On
5. Cache Auto Clean – This function is enabled by setting of positive integer x representing number of minutes. Automatic cleaning process starts initially postponed each x minutes and it performs deleting of expired cache files from the server file system.
Cleaning activity is limited to max. 500 ms duration. Remaining expired cache items are then deleted during next user requests each time with max. 500 ms duration until all expired items are deleted from the cache.
Short overview about the cleaning process can be gained with JotCache Clean Log parameter set to Yes.
6. Autoclean Mode (Fast, Medium, Slow) – controlling autoclean behavior and usage of server memory for this task.
Autoclean takes segment of files stored in the cache and process this segment in one internal run. In Fast mode are used only several segments and processing is fast with higher usage of internal memory. With Medium or Slow setting are these segments smaller and smaller but processing is slower.
Recommended for middle sized web sites is Fast setting, for large ones you have to experiment with Medium/Slow settings.
7. Clean Log – Logging function switched On is allowing to have look into cache auto clean activity. Log is created in Joomla top directory 'logs' with the name 'plg_jotcache.autoclean.log.php'. Each cleaning run is represented with one log line in this format :
date time server IP 2010-12-04 12:40:50 127.0.0.1 interrupted on : (x|ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff) last deleted : y
x – represents number of last processed segment f..f – represents name of last processed cache file y - represents number of deleted pages
When clean run processes all items without interruption then only plain information about deleted files is stored in log. The best autoclean mode setting is with small number of interruptions taking into account reasonable internal server memory usage.
8. Browser split – Many Joomla templates systems are using separate templates for different browser types (mostly Internet Explorer). With splitted cache storage space for different browser types you can avoid unacceptable mixing of unproper templates to site users (cached page content is not rendered when non-expired page exists in the cache).
Select in the multiselect input box the browser types for which one it is necessary to have separate cache space (unselect when necessary with
Ctrl+click on item).
For MS Internet Explorer you can use either common 'IE' selection for all versions of this browser or specific version according the selection item.
Setting for mobile devices
If on the web site are used special templates for content presentation on mobile devices which are different from layout of desktop browsers then it is possible to choose two separate caching spaces - for tablets and for phones.
Select Phone selection alone when available special template is adjusted for presentation on mobile phones (small width, special navigation, etc.).
9. Cookies Split - This input box is used to distinguish pages with same URL and browser access but with different cookie values. Cookies split is allowing separate cache storage for each unique set of cookie name/value definitions.
For forcing cookies split it is necessary to set each one cookie definition per line into this input box. Cookie definition consists from following line definition :
After correct setting of cookies split are the active cookies which were recognized during page caching shown on component Management view :
10. Session Variables Split - some Joomla extensions are using same URL for pages with different content as the response to different visitors. When identification data for each visitor have small amount of distinct values which are stored in session variable then it is possible to differentiate content also in case of the same URLs.
One example can be currency selection on Virtuemart pages. The language code is stored in session variable 'virtuemart_currency_id'. When we put session variable name with leading character '#' (each session variable definition on separate line in case of multiple variables) then JotCache performs full recognition of currencies for cached pages.
11. Bots exclude – If enabled then visiting crawlers (bots) shall access non-cached pages - important in some cases e.g. image lazy loading.
12. Global exclude
After saving JotCache parameters check if the JotCache plugin is enabled and located as last item in system plugins list (if it is not then correct status and items order).
13. Multisite - in case of single Joomla site JotCache stores for cached items only relative page URL (without protocol/host name) into database. When parameter 'Multisite' is set to 'Yes' then it is stored absolute page URL into database and different subdomains or protocols (http vs. https) can be distinguished for cached pages.